Friday, March 19, 2010

L and K

I am so thankful for my kids today. They are so loving and obedient and fun and funny. They're smart and communicate well. They are a lot more joy than work. And I am so thankful for that! They are so entertaining. We are like friends hanging out. We make each other laugh, tell each other about our day, help each other out, talk about stuff we've been thinking about and exchange ideas back and forth. I don't feel like they take me or what I do for them for granted. It seems that they know how it could be. It seems like one tends to see the glass half full more often if they've had an empty glass before, maybe a lot, or maybe just sometimes. When my kids forget where we've come from, I remind them. And I tell them how it could be. I think that a lot of their motivation to behave or "make good decisions" comes from my expressing to them how miserable one's life becomes when they make bad decisions. It may start with a spanking or no dessert but it leads to everyone in the house being upset and nobody having any fun. We've all experienced that when all of us are making good decisions, we all have a great time. And we do. I never thought it'd be like this.
Logan has a girlfriend- Kaylee. He loves her so much. She loves him. She makes him laugh and he thinks she's the cutest thing! He says he takes care of her at school and that she's really nice. It's so cool to see the look on his face when he talks about her. He's such a loving and caring person.
Kayla is going to start preschool in August. I have the expectation of her preschoolhood experience resembling a circus. She is going to need a LOT of sleep. She will absolutely exhaust herself physically, emotionally, and mentally just socializing. It's a good thing the academics should be a breeze, it will just be hard to get her to focus on them when the time comes.
Just the experience of knowing someone so well is so cool. They come out of you and at that point, you've known every second of their little life. I stayed with them every day. There wasn't much that I missed, I have known every little thing that makes them tick. Some people are medical experts, animal experts, law experts. I am a Logan and Kayla expert. But then, they start to go to school and I am missing 8 hours a day! Gradually, they will be changing and I won't know every second of it. And that's awesome too because they become their own. They're only preschoolers and already, they've had to take on a certain amount of responsibility for their lives that their mom may or may not ever find out about.
Logan loves Jesus. He loves Christian music. We don't go to church in Louisiana and he's asking me if I can take him because he loves Jesus. This is amazing to me because I am not the traditional Christian parent that I have seen. I haven't taken him to church but about 5 or 6 times this past year. We don't read the Bible all the time. I don't teach him scripture or have him memorize it. I have told him how Jesus shapes my life. I have taught him what Jesus taught about how to treat one another in love and why. We pray every night, the kid knows how to pray. And he loves Jesus. I couldn't ask for anything more.
I am thankful for K-love. They have been my church with the daily Bible verse and the worship and the conversation and the news and the Christian songs and the testimonies. My kids are hearing all that and my kids are learning through that. It has stimulated spiritual conversation numerous times that may have otherwise never come up.
Kayla is not as concerned about it. It will come for her in a different way. She's a different spirit. And I'm thankful that I get to experience two different kinds of lives in my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment