Sunday, May 30, 2010

Good Morning

This morning, my kids came in my room and asked the predictable "Mom, can I play the computer?" And I said "NO! I'm getting up, we're going to have breakfast." I had to keep their attention before they drifted into bored frustration so I got up, grabbed the gluten-free muffin mix, preheated the oven, and got to work. As soon as they started thinking of other things to do like making crafts, I shut 'em down and asked them to help clean in preparation for breakfast and they did. Then, the orange cranberry muffins came out of the oven and Kayla went to grab hers but Logan asked first. I shut 'em down again and told them they always rush to eat as soon as it's ready so by the time I'm ready to sit down with them, they're done. I told them, "Sit down and wait." I got "Uggh," but they did it. I got them milk in their favorite coffee cups, my coffee, put the muffins on the table, 3 small plates, and sat down. THEN, we started eating. It was SOOOO nice!! We talked and they told me about how cool their dad was last night while I was at work and how he had filled their love tanks. We worked at getting the dogs to stop circling the table like vultures and lay down. The kids yelled and got angry in an effort to get them to lay down (they've learned this from their example I-:) I sternly but quietly told them, "Go lay down, Go away." And they did, showing the children we don't have to be loud and angry and yell. [:o) They both said "Thanks for the muffins mom!" "Thanks for the breakfast mom!" I almost cried! This morning filled my love tank! I just needed to share how thankful I am for such sweet times with my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment